Alliance College of Engineering and Design
Dr. Sharath received his Ph.D. in Civil Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay and a Master’s degree in Civil Engineering from IIT Kanpur. His areas of research include intelligent transportation systems and traffic engineering. He has developed cost-effective vehicle localization and motion planning algorithms for autonomous land vehicles during his Ph.D. tenure. As a post-doctoral researcher at the University of Manitoba, Canada, he developed and implemented a novel methodology for optimizing multi-objective multi-echelon demand-responsive transportation networks.
Simultaneously, Dr. Sharath advised and actively assisted several Ph.D. and post-graduate students with their research work. He has hands-on experience using various analytical tools/methodologies like fuzzy inference systems, Taguchi’s design of experiments, and evolutionary algorithms, demonstrating a wide range of expertise. His works are published in some of the best journals in Transportation Engineering. He also holds teaching experience at the undergraduate level.
International Journal Publications
- Sharath, M. N., & Velaga, N. R. (2020). Enhanced intelligent driver model for two-dimensional motion planning in mixed traffic. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 120(September), 102780. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trc.2020.102780
- Sharath, M. N., Velaga, N. R., & Quddus, M. A. (2019). A dynamic two-dimensional (D2D) weight-based map-matching algorithm. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 98, 409–432. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trc.2018.12.009
- Sharath, M. N., Velaga, N. R., & Quddus, M. A. (2020). 2?dimensional human?like driver model for autonomous vehicles in mixed traffic. IET Intelligent Transport Systems, 14(13), 1913–1922. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-its.2020.0297
- Sharath, M. N., & Mehran, B. (2021). A Literature Review of Performance Metrics of Automated Driving Systems for On-Road Vehicles. Frontiers in Future Transportation, 2(759125), 1–19. https://doi.org/10.3389/ffutr.2021.759125
- Chandra, A., Sharath, M. N., Pani, A., & Sahu, P. K. (2021). A multi-objective genetic algorithm approach to design optimal zoning systems for freight transportation planning. Journal of Transport Geography, 92(April), 103037. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtrangeo.2021.103037
International Conference Presentations
- Sharath, M. N., Mehran, B., & Velaga, N. R. (2020). Can GNSS support platooning in mixed traffic? Workshop on Traffic Simulation and CAV Modeling, Transportation Research Board.
- Sharath, M. N., & Velaga, N. R. (2019). Integrated Human-Like Reactive Motion Planning Algorithm Considering Contextual Traffic Information. 15th World Conference on Transport Research, 1–12.
- Sharath, M. N., Velaga, N. R., Choudhary, A., M, A., & Shankar, R. (2018). A multi-attribute, two-echelon environmentally sustainable location routing problem. 29th Annual Conference of Production and Operations Management Society. Houston, USA.
- Loya, P., Jana, A., Sharath, M. N., & Velaga, N. R. (2019). Optimization of travel time in fire rescue operations by floating fire engines. 4th World Congress on Disaster Management, 29 Jan to 1 Feb. Mumbai, India