Dr. Ray Titus
Pro Vice-Chancellor (Incubation and Innovation ) & Dean, ASOB
Alliance School of Business
Dr. Ray Titus holds a Doctorate in Business Administration from SMC University, Zug, Switzerland and an MBA from the International Management Institute, Belgium. He completed his Post Graduate Program in Management (Business Analytics) from IMT, Ghaziabad and topped his undergraduate studies in Hotel Management from IHM, Trivandrum. Ray is a certified Six Sigma Green Belt awarded by KPMG. Dr. Ray has taught courses as Visiting Professor at IIM Bangalore, SP Jain Center of Management, Dubai & Singapore, Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand, and the Institute of Product Leadership. As a Consulting Advisor at Sphere Thoughts, a Bangalore based Research & Consulting Firm and as a Marketing Consultant, Dr. Ray aids clients in generating buyer insights, building go-to-market and growth strategies. Dr. Ray is the founder of Dabit Lab, a digital habits research lab that uses mixed method research techniques to generate depth-driven user insights.
Listed as a 'Consumer Lifestyle Expert' by Economic Times, Dr. Ray is frequently invited as a speaker on consumer and lifestyle related topics. He is the author of 3 books namely, ‘Round the Clock: How a Digital Marketplace is Transforming Business’ (Sage, 2018), ‘Yuva India: Consumption & Lifestyle Choices of a Young India' (Random House, 2015) and 'Business Drama - How Shakespearean insights help leaders manage volatile contexts' (co-author, Zorba, 2014). His business articles and expert comments have featured in leading Indian and global media publications. His blog, ‘Buyer Behaviour’ has been featured among leading business blogs.
Dr. Ray’s entry into academia followed a decade long stint in Industry where he served in Operations, Marketing, Project, and Strategy roles. As an Industry professional he has formulated and executed growth initiatives that include portfolio and category expansions, product introductions, and the launch of an independent strategic business unit. His industrial stint saw him managing service and retail operations at the Taj Group of Hotels, India and the Landmark Gulf Group, Dubai. As the Marketing Head at INI Technologies, Dr. Ray oversaw market and product development initiatives, and while at Coffee Day, Ray spearheaded the launch of Coffee Day Xpress as an independent Strategic Business Unit. In executing growth strategies for businesses, he has forged cross-border strategic alliances and custom-designed franchising models for market expansions.
Research Paper Publications
- ‘From ‘Teaching’ Schools to ‘Knowledge’ Schools: The peculiar dilemma of Business Schools in emerging Economies’, published in the International Journal of Learning Management Systems, 2016,Vol. 4 (1), pp 9-15, with Sengupta, Debashish
- ‘Transition to an Automated Online Talent Acquisition System in an IT Project-Based Organization: A Case Study’, published in PM World Journal, Volume IV (12), December 2015, with Sengupta, Debashish., and Sengupta, Subashish
- ‘Leveraging Knowledge through Crowd-Sourcing for Enabling Business Solutions’. published in the International Journal of IT & Knowledge Management, 2015,Vol. 8 (2), pp. 94-98
- ‘Mapping Psychological & Sociological Influences on Individual Decision Making and Brand Choices’, published in the International Letters of Social and Humanistic Sciences, 2015, Vol. 52, pp. 104-110
- ‘Adapting Retail Business Models to compete: The 'Organised Avatar' of the Kirana Store in India’, published in the International Journal of Sales, Retailing and Marketing, 2014,Vol.3 (4), pp. 154-162., with Sengupta, Debashish, & Santhakumar, Shruti
- ‘Application of Agile Methodologies for Member and Team Role Transformations in Projects’, published in PM World Journal, 2014, Vol. III (Issue I), pp. 1-16., with Sengupta, Subhashish, and Sengupta, Debashish
- ‘Managing human capital to engineer process improvement for team interfaces: A Case Study’, Journal of Project, Program & Portfolio Management, Vol. 4 No 2, 2013, pp. 36-52., with Sengupta, Debashish
- ‘Evaluating Employee Welfare through Provision & Utilization of Employee Benefit Scheme’, published in the International Journal of Economy, Management and Social Sciences, Vol 2 - No 8, pp. 544-549., 2013, with Sengupta, Debashish
- ‘Mapping perceptual value shifts in timepieces through lifestyle associations’, published in the Indian Journal of Marketing, July, Volume 43, Issue 7., 2013, with Sengupta, Debashish
- ‘Enabling Social Justice through Progressive Taxation in ‘Discriminated’ Societies’, published in the International Letters of Social and Humanistic Sciences, Vol. 5, pp. 45-54., 2013
- ‘Leveraging distribution networks for competitive advantage: a case of FMCG channel management at ITC Ltd.’, published in Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing & Management Review, Vol.2, Issue 2; February 2013, with Sengupta, Debashish., and Garg, Alankrita
- ‘Mapping drivers of consumer attitude formation & adoption of counterfeit products’, published in Journal of Business & Retail Management Research, Vol. 7, Issue 1, October 2012, with Ethiraj, Vivek.
- ‘Coca Cola in India: A study on Product Portfolio and Distribution Adaptation’, published in the International Journal of Research on Finance and Marketing’, Vol. 2, Issue 2, February 2012, with Nagabhushana
- ‘Mapping & Qualifying Consumption changes in Product categories during Recessionary Times’, published in the Indian Journal of Marketing, Vol. 42, January 2012
- ‘M-Banking Future?’, Asia Pacific Journal of Research in Business Management, Vol. 2, Issue 11, November, 2011, with Mathew, Sajan
- ‘Custom-Standardization – Uncovering the basis for Global Chaining Strategy in Prepared Food Retail’, published in Journal of Business & Retail Management Research (JBRMR), Vol. 6, Issue 1, October 2011, with Sengupta, Debashish
- ‘Comparative study on Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in Retail: A Boon or Bane?’, published in Indian Journal of Marketing, April, 2011, with Sengupta, Debashish
- ‘From the Bean to the cup’, (Amalgamated Bean Coffee Trading Company), published in Renvoi Management Case Studies, 2005
- ‘YuvaNation: Consumption & Lifestyle Choices of a Young India’, Random House Business, 2015, ISBN 978-81-8400-651-3
- ‘Business Drama: How Shakespearean insights help leaders manage volatile contexts’, Zorba Publishers, 2014, ISBN 9789381239322, with Gopinath, Mohan., and Sengupta, Debashish
Book Chapter Publications
- ‘Transforming Banking through Tech-driven Mobility’, published in Research in Finance: Corporate Behavioral Microfinance and E-Finance Models, 2013, Raj Publications, ISBN: 8184842864; EAN: 9788184842869, with Mathew, Sajan
Research Papers Presented/Published in the Conference Proceedings
- ‘Assessing Causative Factors Prompting Digital Content and Device Adoption among Young Indian Readers.’, presented at the IFIM 10th Annual International Conference on Digital Business: New Frontiers in Management, February 4–6, 2016, written with Sengupta, Debashish
- ‘Acquiring Strategic Talent with Technology as an Enabler: A Case Research.’, presented at the 6th International Conference on Managing Business Competitiveness through Technology, Innovation, and Big Data, Acharya Bangalore B-School, December 17-18, 2015, written with Sengupta, Debashish
- ‘Engaging the digital reader’, presented at the Seminar on ‘Reading Habits in the Digital Age’, Alliance University & Karnataka State Library Association, Nov. 18, 2015.
- ‘Repositioning Physical Evidence to alter Perceptions and encourage Trial: A Case Research’, presented at the 7th Great Lakes NASMEI Marketing Conference, December 27-28, 2013, written with Sengupta, Debashish., Alexander, Jacob, and Mathew, Sajan
- ‘Qualifying Static and Dynamic Components with technology Interventions in Service Processes for Benchmarking’, presented at the Fourteenth Annual Global Information Technology Management (GITMA) World Conference, June 16-18, 2013, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, written with Sengupta, Debashish., Alexander, Jacob, and Mathew, Sajan
- ‘Business Model Innovation: The Organized Avtar of the Kirana Store in India’, presented at the Convergence 2013, 5th international Conference on Role of Innovation in Business, organized by IFIM, Bangalore on May 16-17, 2013, written with Sengupta, Debashish., and Santhakumar, Shruti
- ‘Neuromarketing: Integrating Neuroscience and marketing with technology as a facilitator’, presented at the 6th Great Lakes NASMEI Marketing Conference, Dec 30-31, 2012, written with Alexander, Jacob., Thomason, Rajan., and Mathew, Sajan.,
- ‘Neuromarketing: ‘When Technology empowers Marketing’, presented at the 13th Annual Global Information Technology Management Association (GITMA) World Conference, June 17-19, 2012, Alliance University, Alliance School of Business, written with Mathew, Sajan, and Alexander, Jacob
- ‘Women as Decision-Makers – Exploring household contexts through ‘lived experiences’, presented at the 4thConference On Excellence In Research And Education to be held during May 10 -13, 2012 at the Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Indore, written with Madan, Sahana, and Sengupta, Debashish
- ‘Marketing through Cloud – Product to the End User’, presented at the 4th National Seminar on Service Management Strategy and Challenges in era of Globalization, April 19-20, 2012, Indian Academy School of Management Studies, written with Mathew, Sajan, and Alexander, Jacob
- ‘Evaluating Environmental Variables to Assess Exhibited Behaviour: A Study of Gen Y’, presented in-absentia at the International Conference on Technology and Business Management (ICTBM-12) jointly organized by University of Wollongong in Dubai & International Forum of Management Scholars (INFOMS), March 26-28, 2012, written with Sengupta, Debashish
- ‘Coca Cola in India: A study on Product Portfolio and Distribution Adaptation’, presented at the International Conference on Competitiveness & Innovativeness in Engineering, Management, and Information Technology; ICCIEMI 2012, Euro Asia Research & Development Association, January 29, 2012, MAIMT Jagadhri, written with Nagabhushana
- ‘Incidence Of Illegitimate Power and Its Impact On Effectiveness Of OD Initiatives’, presented at the Convergence 2012 - 4th International Conference, organized by IFIM Business School, Bangalore, January 11 – 12, 2012, written with Sengupta, Debashish
- ‘From Teaching Schools to Knowledge Schools: The peculiar dilemma of Business Schools in emerging economies’, IACBE International Conference, Alliance University, Bangalore, 16-17 July 2011, written with Sengupta, Debashish
- ‘Deciphering Gen Y Behavior: An Exploratory Study of Causative Variables’, presented at the National Conference on Managing Generation Y Employees: Challenges and Opportunities, PESIT, Bangalore, September 15, 2011, written with Sengupta, Debashish
- ‘Impact of FDI in the Indian Economy’, presented at the International Seminar on Global Management Challenges, Nandha Engineering College, Coimbatore, October 17, 2008, written with Sathyapriya, P
- ‘Celebrity endorsements of high involvement brands evoke cognitive evaluations that can erode brand equity and affect celebrity credibility’, presented at the Ad – Impact: A conference on Advertising, Birla Institute of Technology, New Delhi, August 27, 2007, written with Rakesh, CK and Mushir, Danish
- ‘Knowledge Management – An information processing paradigm’, presented at the Conference on Web Intelligence; Rajagiri Institute of Management, Cochin, December 15 -16 , 2006, written with Mathew, Sajan
- ‘Enhancing Commodity Business Competitiveness through Forward Integration’ presented at the Conference on Global Competitiveness; IIM-Kozhikode, June 13-18, 2005.
Media Publications (Print, Online)
- ‘How the IPL is now India's 'Tyohaar'’, Business Insider India, April 15, 2015
- ‘You may sign an Aamir and Shah Rukh for Rs 5cr/day, but there are a few areas where even their charm won't work!’, Business Insider India, April 2, 2015.
- ‘Know the trick behind creating a successful ad campaign’, Business Insider India, March 18, 2015.
- ‘Ban Culture: Why YUVA INDIA finds the ‘banned’ perfectly palatable’, Business Insider India, March 9, 2015.
- ‘5 key takeaways from the Amazon-Flipkart twitter banter’, Business Insider India, March 3, 2015.
- ‘The Systemic Problem’, Knowledge Beans: A Human Resource Newsletter, Issue No. 37, August 2011.
- ‘Why being Young isn’t Fun’, The Viewspaper : The Voice of the Youth, September 16, 2011.
- ‘Getting a hold on Social media’, Features News article, The Hindu Business Line, March 14, 2011
- ‘Policing Social media isn’t smart policy’, The Hindu Business Line, August 17, 2010, with Sengupta, Debashish
- ‘Deciphering the Indian Business Space’, Ezine articles, July 15, 2005
- ‘Behavioral Extensions and Its Implications at Workplaces’, Ezine articles, July 13, 2005
- ‘The Importance of Value Mix’, Ezine articles, July 7, 2005
- ‘The Fallibility of Psychological Testing’, Ezine articles, July 6, 2005
Media Quotes - Print & Online
- Quoted in ‘Chennai floods: Mall-hopping, eating-out and movies see a downturn in Bengaluru’, Economic Times, December 10, 2015
- Quoted in ‘Many restaurateurs are people with no actual background in the food business.’, Economic Times, August 31, 2015
- Quoted in ‘Want to plan nightlife better? Join this course.’, Economic Times, July 22, 2015
- Quoted in ‘Bengaluru's private varsities poach talent from industry with attractive pay scales.’, Economic Times, July 2, 2015
- Quoted in ‘Make sure you look good online’, The Telegraph, January 4, 2015
- Quoted in ‘Like, follow, tweet and share’, The Telegraph, February 20, 2014
- Quoted in ‘Focus on risk mitigation’, The Hindu Business Line, September 29, 2013
- Quoted in ‘‘Banks should exert influence to help SMEs get their dues’, The Hindu Business Line, September 26, 2013
- Quoted in ‘India opens the door to international retailers’, The Globe & Mail, Canada, December 26, 2012
- Quoted in ‘Not many takers for new Parle wafers’, The Sunday Guardian, September 2, 2012
- Quoted in ‘India’s Nano hits bumps on the Road’, The Globe & Mail, Canada, November 24, 2011
- Quoted in ‘Companies sip Coffee to connect with Customers’, The Sunday Guardian, November 6, 2011.
- Quoted in ‘A twisted Journey’, Pitch Magazine, December, August 16, 2011
- Quoted in ‘Trick n Trap’, Pitch Magazine, August 18, 2011.
- Quoted in ‘Parle Products kills Musst and goes for Full Toss’, Pitch Exclusive, Pitch Magazine, July 20, 2011.
- Quoted in ‘India’s Booming Economy Is on An Upward Surge’, VOA News, November 1, 2009