Dr. Rajan K. E. Varghese
Program Director - Ph.D.
Alliance School of Law
Dr. Rajan K. E. Varghese holds a doctorate in Labour Law from Cochin University of Science and Technology. He comes with diverse academic and professional experience and has been teaching a variety of courses in various institutions, particularly, Constitutional Law and Administrative Law both at the Graduate and Post Graduate level since 1985. Along with the academic activities, he has held various administrative positions.
Dr. Varghese has expertise in training and guiding research and Ph.D. scholars. Independently and jointly with other experts, he has been engaged in research studies for the Ministry of Labour, Government of India.
Dr. Varghese has also practiced Law as an Advocate in the Labour Courts, Industrial Tribunals, other Administrative Tribunals, Lower Courts, and the Hon’ble High Court of Kerala. His research studies have spanned across topics such as implementation of the DWCRA Scheme in Kerala; fixing of minimum wages and payment of minimum wages wholly in kind in selected districts in Bihar, Punjab, Maharashtra and Tamilnadu, for the Ministry of Labour, Government of India; 'Human Rights' for the Ministry of External Affairs organized by the Indian Society of International Law, New Delhi to name a few.
- “Industrial Wages: The Need for a Policy”, Cochin University Law Review (CULR)
- “Immediate Victims of Industrial Pollution: Protective Measures”, CULR.
- “Is A Teacher a Workman?”, CULR
- “Employers Right to Close Down a Business: Can it be negatived?”, CULR
- “Judicial Review of the Power of Reference Under Section 10 of the Industrial Disputes Act – Judicial Usurpation”, Employer Employee Law Reporter.
- “Retrenchment – Social Justice Interpretation or Interpretative Acrobatics?”, Awards Digest, V V Giri National Labour Institute
- “Disciplinary Action: The Philosophy and Practice”, Awards Digest
- “Indian Trade Union Movement – A Historical Reminder”, Awards Digest
- “Natural Justice in Domestic Enquiry”, Awards Digest
- “Misconduct and Punishment - Ethics and Evolution”, Awards Digest
- “Labour Adjudication in India: Problems and Solutions” (In the Labour and Development, a Bi-annual Journal brought out by NLI)
- “Contract Labour: Judicial Trends”, (Published in M.S. Ramanujam, Joginder Singh Sodhi (Eds.), Management of Contract Labour, in India, Shri Ram Centre, 2004. The publication was referred to by the 2nd National Commission on Labour, Govt. of India).
- “Legal Representation in Quasi-Judicial Proceedings” Published in the Amity Law Review, Vol.7, Nos. (1&2) July-December 2011. (ISSN 2249-2232).
- “‘Sentinal on the Qui Vive’ Indeed: A comment on the 2 G Spectrum Decision”, Published in the Amity Law Review. Vol.8, Nos. (1) January-June 2012. (ISSN 2249-2232).
- Book Review on Sanjay Upadhyaya, Policy and Law on Contract Labour in India, in Labour and Development, Vol. 20 No. 1, June 2013, Published by the V V Giri National Labour Institute (2013) (ISSN 0973-0419).
- “Judicial Review of Administrative Action in India”, Publication in Amity Law Review (2014).
- ‘The relevance of Wednesbury Unreasonableness’ in the light of ‘Proportionality’ as Ground for Judicial Review”, Published in the Indian Journal of Public Administration, New Delhi, Vol LX, No. 1, 2014.
- “Medical Negligence: The Limit and Limitations”, Published in Galgotias Journal of Legal Studies, 2014 GJLS Vol. I, No. 2.
Other Areas of Research
- Implementation of the DWCRA Scheme in the State of Kerala.
- Fixing of Minimum Wages with respect to employments in Agriculture.
- Payment of Minimum Wages wholly in kind in selected Districts in Bihar, Punjab, Maharashtra, and Tamil Nadu, for the Ministry of Labour, GoI.
- 'Human Rights' for the Ministry of External Affairs organized by the Indian Society of International Law, New Delhi.
- Course Director for several Training Programmes on “Leadership Training for (Industrial) Trade Union Organisers”.
- Course Director for a number of Training Workshops for Judicial Officers on “Making Labour Adjudication Effective” for the Presiding Officers of the Labour Courts and Industrial Tribunals from all over India, (Central & State).
- Course Director for a number of Training Programmes for Labour Administrators at various levels, for both Central and States Labour Departments.
- Course Director, “Induction Training Programme” of three months duration for Grade V Officers of the Central Labour Service.
- Introduced and conducted Courses for Quasi-Judicial Officers appointed as ‘Authorities’ under the various Labour Laws.
- Introduced and conducted a Course on Research Methodology in Labour Law Research for Research Scholars from various Universities in India.
- Course Director for a three-day Workshop for Lawyers and Public Prosecutors on Child Labour.
- Course Director for “Leadership Development Training for DWCRA Group Organisers”.
- Course Director for a special programme on Labour Laws for the Gas Authority of India Ltd., HR Executives.