Dr. Kiran Dennis Gardner
Professor & Dean
Alliance School of Law
Dr Kiran Gardner holds a Ph. D. (Law) on the topic “A study of Legal Status of Minority Educational Institutions: A Judicial Approach” and Ph. D. (Education) on the topic, “Causes that hinder the Educational Growth of Tribal Pupils of West Khandesh” from Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda. Her LL.M (Criminal Law) is also from the same University. She pursued her LL.B Degree from North Maharashtra University, whereas, B. Sc, B. Ed, M. Ed degrees are from South Gujarat University, Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, and Poona University respectively.
Before joining Alliance University, Dr Gardner has worked as Dean, School of Law, at Galgotias University, Greater Noida; Parul University, Vadodara and Auro University, Surat. She has also taught at Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Nirma University, Ahmedabad and at United World’s School of Law, Ghandinagar. Her areas of interest are Criminal Law, Constitutional Law, Research Methodology, Laws related to women and Education.
Dr Gardner has attended and presented papers in many National and International Conferences and Seminars and has been an editor for the University and Department’s Newsletters. She has organised many FDPs, National and International Conferences, Seminars, Moot Court Competitions, Workshops and Colloquiums. As Dean School of Law, Galgotias University she was instrumental in organising 34th Inter University Bar Council of India Moot Court Competition. As a resource person she has contributed towards police training and delivering legal awareness lectures for women, community leaders, students and professionals.
- Article published in Magazine Axiom, of Institute of Law, Nirma University, Ahmedabad on: Ragging: A Heinous Syndrome-Shun it, in July 2009 edition.
- Article published in Magazine Axiom , of Institute of Law, Nirma University, Ahmedabad on Sports and Law, in August 2011 edition.
- Paper published in Conference Proceedings of “Global Conference on Service Management” jointly organized by AURO University, Surat, Gujarat, India in collaboration with Manning School of Business, Umass, Lowell, USA on 4th and 5th January 2014 on ‘Legal Rights of Minority Educational Institutions: A Judicial Approach.’ ISBN13:978-81-928189-3-4
- Article published in Veer Narmad South Gujarat University, Surat, Journal of Law, (An Annual Publication), Special Issue on Protection of Human Rights on “Human Rights of Accused As Incorporated in Criminal Law in India.” Volume 1, Issue 1 Jan-December 2013. ISSN 2348-0718
- Article published in 2013 Galgotias Journal of Legal Studies (GJLS) Vol 1 No2 (Online Journal) on “Expanding Notions of Justice Through Judicial Process” available on http://law.galgotiasuniversity.edu.in/publications-issue.asp?lk=publications3 ISSN 2321-1997
- “Justice according to law vis –a –vis Law according to justice” in the proceeding of the National Conference on Law and Justice- 2014 organised by School of Law, AURO University, Surat held on 27th and 28th September, 2014. ISBN13:978-81-928189-3-1
- Paper published in the Conference proceeding of National Conference on Law and Justice – 2015 organized by School of Law, AURO University on Right to Education: Is it Reality? held on 10th-11th October 2015 bearing ISBN 13:978-81-928189-6-2
- Edited Book LEX ET SOCIETATIS: Contemporary Legal Issues published by Infinity Publishing in 2018 with ISBN: 978-93-87910-06-5
- Edited Conference proceedings of the Conference on Emerging Legal Issues by Excel India Publication in March 2017 with ISBN :978-93-86256-69-0
- Edited Conference proceedings of the National Conference on Law and Justice-2014 Published by AURO University ISBN: 978-81-928189-3-1
- Edited Conference proceedings for National Conference on Law and Justice-2013 Published by AURO University ISBN: 978-81-928189-0-0
- Edited Seminar Proceedings for National Seminar on Globalization, Market and Consumer Protection, which was organized by AURO University in Collaboration with Centre for Consumer Studies, Indian Institute of Public Administration in 23rd and 24th November 2013. ISBN:978-81-928189-1-7
- Worked with Vadodara Police for sensitizing them regarding women issues in general and Domestic Violence Act 2005 in particular.
- Delivered lectures for legal awareness to Youth and Church leaders.
- Delivered lectures on Right to Information Act and Economic Empowerment of Women in India at Bhagini Samaj Trust, NGO at Vadodara, working for Women Empowerment.
- Delivered lectures as resource person at police Academy, Karai regarding Amendments in Criminal Laws.
- Delivered lectures to senior police officers on Juvenile Justice Act and Protection of Children from Sexual Offence Act, 2013.
- Conducted a session on “Research Methodology: Empirical Research” for LL.M. and Ph. D. students at Faculty of Law, Pune University on 15th November 2014.
- As a resource person at National Seminar on “Feminism, Gender Justice and Women’s Empowerment, held by Department of Law, Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune on Sunday 25th October 2015 delivered a lecture on the topic, “Sexual Harassment at Work Place Act and Rules, 2013”.
- Delivered a lecture for Special Juvenile Police Unit/ Child Welfare Officers and Police Inspectors of the District on Juvenile Justice (Care & Protection) Act 2000 on 22nd September 2013 at Umra Police Station, Athwa Lines , Surat.
- As a resource Person Chaired a session on “Effect of Hindu Secession (Amendment) Act, 2005-Judicial Response” and also spoke on “ Maintenance- Expanding Horizons of Women’s Right” at a National Seminar on ‘Empowerment of Women: Efficacy and Implementation of Laws relating to property and Marriage” organized by Natinal Commission of Women in collaboration with Yashwantrao Chavan Law College, Pune held on 16th -17th November 2018.
- Conducted a session on “Indian Education System and Indian Religions as a part of Indian Culture” for students participated in Indian Summer School -2017 for students from Wroclaw University of Science & Technology during 6th February to 5th March 2017 at Parul University Vadoodara.
- Conducted Session for students and faculty of Social Work on “Role of Law in Community Development” on 27th August 2016 at Parul University, Vadodara.
- Participated as resource person in one day Seminar on , “Outlook of Modern Teachers Towards Effective Curriculum” held on 23rd April 2016 at Parul University, Vadodara.
- Delivered a lecture on “Anti Ragging” at Institute of Engineering & Technology, Diploma studies, Parul University, Vadodara on 7th September 2016.
- Conducted sessions on “Indian Governance, Indian Education System and Religions in India” at summer school 2016 for students from Humber Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning, Canada and University of Transport Technology, Vietnam during 2nd June to 4th July 2016 at Parul University, Vadodara.
- Conducted a session on ‘Classroom Control’ during the Induction Training Programme for the Newly recruited Faculty members held from 7th to 19th June 2010 at Nirma University, Ahmedabad.
- Chaired a Session in, “Global Conference on Service Management”, jointly organized by AURO University, Surat, Gujarat, India in collaboration with Manning School of Business, Umass, Lowell, USA on 4th and 5th January 2014.
- Chaired a session in a State level Seminar on Human Rights on 21st December 2013 organized by Veer Narmad South Gujarat University, Surat.
- Conducted Six Workshop Sessions for Senior police Officers on ‘Juvenile Justice Act’ and ‘Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act’ at Rajpipla, Navsari, Valsad and Surat (Rural and Urban).
- Worked as external Evaluator for Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Faculty of Law for evaluation of dissertations and Semester End Examination.
International Conferences / Seminars:
Presented paper on
- “Advent of New Economy: Anti- Dumping Measures” in the International Seminar on, ‘Impact of Intellectual Property Rights in post WTO Era : India and Canada” organized by Centre for Canadian Studies, Faculty of Arts and Faculty of Law, M. S. University of Baroda held on 22nd to 24th March 2007.
- “Legal Aspects of Kyoto Protocol” in the ‘International Conference on Environmental Issues in Emerging and Advanced Economies : Canada, India’ organized by Department of Chemistry and James Reaney Canadian Centre, Gujarat University, Ahmedabad, held from 6th to 8th December, 2009.
- “Legal Rights of Minority Educational Institutions: A Judicial Approach” in a ‘Global Conference on Service Management 2014’organized by AURO University in collaboration with University of Massachusetts, Lowell, USA, held on 4th and 5th of January 2014.
- “Human Rights and Criminal Justice System in India” in International Conference on ‘Contemporary Issues and Challenges of Human Rights in the Era of Globalization.’ Organized by Gujarat Law Society, Ahmedabad on 2nd and 3rd August 2014.
National Conferences / Seminars:
Attended and presented papers on
- Attended and presented paper on “ Women Empowerment: Constitutional & Legal Challenges” at the First National Conference on Emerging Legal Issues -2017 held on 25th March 2017 held at Parul University, Vadodara.
- Attended &Presented Paper on “Human Rights of accused Vis A Vis Rights of Victims in Criminal Justice System of India” in an UGC sponsored National Seminar organized by School of Law. Dept. of Philosophy & Psychology, Gujarat University, Ahmedabad on 21st and 22nd March 2015.
- Attended and presented paper on “Changing trend relating to maintenance under all personal Laws” at Two days National Seminar organized by National Commission for Women, New Delhi and A. B. M. Parishad’s Yashwant Rao Chavan Law College, Pune on 16th -17th December 2016 on Empowerment of women: Efficacy and implementation of Laws relating to Poverty and Marriage.
- Attended a National Conference on Law and Justice organized by AURO University on 10th and 11th October 2015 presented paper on “ Right to Education: Is it Reality?”
- Attended a National Seminar on, " Human Rights and Duty Education: Issues and Challenges from International and National Perspective" on 21st and 22nd March 2015 organized by Gujarat University, Ahmedabad and presented a paper on, "Human Rights of Accused Vis-a-Vis Victim in Criminal Justice System ".
- “Right to Education: Myth or Reality” in National Seminar on, ‘Right to Education: Issues and Challenges’ organized by Faculty of Law, M. S. University of Baroda, Vadodara held on 16th February 2013.
- Presented paper on “Sexual Offence: Victim Challenges and Justice” in a National Conference on ‘ Vision 2020: Future of Law and Legal Transformation’ organized by Institute of Law, Nirma University, Ahmedabad, held on 24th to 25th January, 2013. I was awarded Best Paper in track IV.
- “Minority Rights as Humanitarian Rights” in a UGC Sponsored National Seminar on ‘Human Rights in Emerging Area and Value Education’ organized by School of Law, Gujarat University, Ahmedabad held on 8th and 9th October 2011.
- “Criminalization of politics” in a National Seminar on ‘Legal Regulation of Elections in India’ organized by Department of Law, Punjabi University, Patiala held on 11th and 12th November 2008.
- “Election Dispute and Judicial process” in a National Seminar on ‘Legal Regulation of Elections in India’ organized by Department of Law, Punjabi University, Patiala held on 11th and 12th November 2008 Co-authored with Dr Purvi Pokhariyal.
- “Legitimizing of Judicial Activism” in a UGC sponsored National Seminar organized by Faculty of Law, M.S. University of Baroda held on 11th and 12th March 2006.
State Level Seminars
Attended and presented papers on
- “Law and Minority” in a UGC sponsored State Level Seminar on ‘Law’s Empire and Empire’s Lawlessness: A Saga of Injustice”. Organized by Faculty of Law, M.S. University of Baroda held on 12th and 13th March 2005.
- “Human Rights of accused as incorporated in Criminal law in India” in a State Level Seminar on ‘Protection of Human Rights’ organized by Faculty of Law, Veer Narmad South Gujarat University, Surat held on 21st December, 2013.
Attending the following workshops
- Two days National Workshop on “Private International Law” organized by Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar held on 10th and 11th April 2010.
- Two days National workshop on “Legal Research Methodology” organized by Nirma University, Institute of Law held on 7th and 8th May 2011.