Prof. Barsa Priyadarsinee Sahoo
Alliance School of Liberal Arts
Ms. Barsa Priyadarsinee Sahoo is currently pursuing her doctoral degree from the Centre for the Study of Social Systems (CSSS), Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi on the thesis titled “Caste and Craft in India: Occupational Mobility among the Kansaris of Odisha”. Earlier, she obtained her MA and MPhil degree in Sociology from Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. The topic of her dissertation for the Master of Philosophy (MPhil) was “Child Labor in India: A Study of Patterns and Determinants in Odisha”. She has completed her graduation in Sociology (Hons.) from Ravenshaw University, Cuttack, Odisha. At present, she is engaged in ICSSSR-IMPRESS project titled “Farmer Suicide in India: A Case Study of Karnataka” in the capacity of co-project director.
Prior to joining Alliance University, Ms. Sahoo has worked as an Assistant Professor in the School of Law, Raffles University, Neemrana. She has also worked as a guest lecturer in the Department of Sociology, Ravenshaw University, Odisha. In total, she has four years of experience in teaching and more than five years of research experience. She has published research papers in various national and international journals. She is a life member of Indian Sociological Society and actively participates in their annual conferences conducted by the society. She has been awarded UGC- NET/Junior Research Fellowship held on 29th December 2013. Her area of interest includes inequality studies, stratification and mobility study, social statistics, research methodology.
- A Sociological Study of Pattern and Determinants of Child Labour in India. Journal of Children's Services, Emerald, May 2021. https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/JCS-10-2020-0067/full/html
- Social Stigma in time of COVID-19 Pandemic: Evidence from India. International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy, May 2021. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJSSP-01-2021-0012
- Patel, A. B.; Sahoo, B. P. 2021. “Social stigma in time of COVID-19 pandemic: evidence from India.” International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy: https://search.bvsalud.org/global-literature-on-novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov/resource/en/covidwho-1244892 (Recognized under literature for Covid-19 by WHO.)
- Sahoo, BP. (2021). A Sociological study of patterns and determinants of child labour in India, Journal of Children’s Services. (Accepted for publication in next issue) (Indexed in Scopus) “ISSN: 1746-6660”.
- Sahoo, BP & Patel, Avanish. (2021). Social Stigma in time of COVID-19 Pandemic: Evidence from India, International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy. (Accepted for publication in next issue) (Indexed in Scopus). “ISSN: 0144-333X”.
- Sahoo, BP. (2020). Children without childhood: An Analysis of the Pattern and incidence of child labour in India, Journal of the social sciences, 48, No.4, 2650-2656. “ISSN: 0253-1097”.
- Sahoo, BP. (2020). Agrarian crisis and the plight of the female farmers in India in S Kumar (ed.) “Agrarian Crisis and Farmer Suicide in India: The Voice Unheard”, Best Publishing House, New Delhi. “ISBN: 978-93-8900-12-73”.
- Sahoo, BP. (2017). Development and the Concerns of the Working Children: Challenges and Opportunities, International Journal of Research Culture Society,1, Issue.4,57-61. (UGC care list) “ISSN: 2456-6683”.
Other Academic Achievements:
- Participated in the online training programme on “Labour Reforms in India: Perspectives and Challenges (Labour Codes)” organized by Mahatma Gandhi Labour Institute, Ahmedabad on 27th January to 31st January 2021.
- Participated in “5-Day online FDP on Universal Human Values for DEEKSHARAMBH (Student Induction Programme)” organized by NIT Patna during 23rd to 27th November 2020.
- Successfully completed One Week Pedagogical Training for Teachers on “Tools for Online Teaching Learning and Evaluation”, organized by School of Mathematical Sciences, Swami Ramanand Teerth Marathwada University, Nanded, from 1st July to 6th July 2020.
- Successfully completed 4-Week Induction/Orientation Programme for "Faculty in Universities/Colleges/Institutes of Higher Education" and obtained grade A+ organised by Teaching Learning Centre, Ramanujan College, University of Delhi under the aegis of Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya National Mission on Teachers and Teaching (PMMMNMTT) from June 4 - July 1, 2020.
- Participated in AICTE-ISTE Approved (vide Letter No.: ISTE Proceedings/STTP-SF/MAH-131/2019-20) One Week Online Short-Term Training Program (Interdisciplinary) on “RESEARCH AND PUBLICATION ETHICS” organized by Department of Computer Science & Engineering, in association with Research Promotion Cell, PRMIT&R, Badnera and CSI, Amravati Chapter from 29 June to 3 July, 2020.
- Successfully completed Two Weeks Faculty Development Programme (FDP) on "MANAGING ONLINE CLASSES and CO-CREATING MOOCS:2.0" organised by Teaching Learning Centre, Ramanujan College, University of Delhi and Sponsored by Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya National Mission on Teachers and Teaching (PMMMNMTT) from May 18 - June 03, 2020.
Membership in Professional Societies:
- Life member of Indian Sociological Society.
- Annual member of Indian Association for the Study of Population.
- Annual Member of Asian Population Association.
Conferences and Workshop Participation:
- Presented a paper titled “Covid-19 and the plight of the migrant workers in India: An analysis” at Three Days International Webinar on COVID-19 and its impact on Global Economy organized by Department of Economics, Yobe State University, Damaturu, Nigeria during July 5-7, 2020.
- Presented a paper titled “The Stigma of COVID-19 and Social Inequality in India” at Three Day International Webinar on Covid-19 and its Global Impact organized by the Department of Economics, Arya Mahila P.G. College, Varanasi, U.P., INDIA during June 5-7, 2020.
- Presented a paper titled “Caste and Craft: Occupational Mobility among the Kansaris of Odisha” at 12th Doctoral Thesis Conference organised by IBS, Hyderabad on18-19 April 2019.
- Presented a paper titled “Caste mobility and status attainment: An emperical study on the Kansaris of Odisha” at 44th All India Sociological Conference on Restructuring Sociological Discourse in India: Perspectives from the Margins organised by the Department of Sociology, St. Philomena’s College, Mysuru. (27th to 29th December 2018).
- Presented a paper titled “Development and concerns of the Working Children: Challenges and Opportunities” at ICSSR sponsored Two-Day National Seminar on “Reconstructing Development and its Discontents in India: Problems, Paradox and Possibilities, organised by the dept of Sociology, Ravenshaw University, Cuttack. (14th -15th Nov 2015).
- Presented a paper titled “Childhood at Risk: An Analysis of the Determinants of Child Labour” at XL All India Sociological Conference on Development, Diversity and Democracy organised by the Department of Sociology, Mahatma Gandhi Kashi Vidyapith, Varanasi. (29th November to 1st December 2014).
- Participated in “One Week Online Research Methodology Workshop” organized by SHoDH Haryana in collaboration with School of Business and Management Studies, Central University of Haryana, Mahendergarh and Indian Council of Social Science Research, New Delhi as knowledge partner from 3rd July - 9th July 2020.
- Participated in the Workshop on “Qualitative Research Methodology” organized by the School of Research Methodology, Tata Institute of Social Sciences from 14th June to 17th June 2018.
- Participated in the workshop on “Qualitative Research in Education and the Social Sciences: Going Beyond Ethnography” organised at Centre for the Study of Social Systems, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi on 28th October 2013.
- Organised a Seminar on “A Tale of Two Paradises: A Comparative Reflection on Kashmir and Manipur” in November 2012 in CSSS/SSS, JNU.
Invited Guest Lectures:
- Successfully delivered a lecture (online) on “Relationship between Law and Social Science” as a part of the Commencement Lecture Series to the First Batch of Law Students on 20th October 2020 at VIT-AP School of Law, VIT-AP University, Vijayawada.
- Successfully delivered a lecture on “Social Stratification: Class, Gender, Caste and Deprived sections of Indian Society” to the Law Students at the School of Law, NMIMS (Deemed to be) University, Hyderabad on 6th February 2021.