Dr. Mohan Krishna S.
Alliance College of Engineering and Design
Dr. Mohan Krishna. S was awarded Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering (Sensorless control of induction motor drives for EV applications) from Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT) [Institution of Eminence], India, in March 2017. He received B. Tech and M. Tech degrees in Electrical Engineering from Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham [Institution of Eminence]. Coimbatore, India in 2009 and 2012 respectively. He also acquired a domain specific MBA (Power Management) from University of Petroleum and Energy Studies (UPES), Dehradun, India, in 2019. His research interests include, electric vehicles, smart homes and IoT based building energy management systems, state observers for induction motors, energy economics and sustainability etc.
He has many research publications in SCI/SCI-E and Scopus indexed journals, book chapters and in conference proceedings to his credit. He has been a resource person for several FDPs in the domain of electric vehicle technology organized by reputed government/private institutions and a technical committee member of several flagship conferences organized across the world. He is Energy section advisory board member of Heliyon (Elsevier). He has edited several books and special issues of top journals in the domains of electric vehicle, smart grids and energy sustainability. He also regularly reviews research articles for leading journals (Q1/Q2) and magazines. He is a senior member of IEEE and Life member of several professional societies like the Institution of Engineers (India), ISTE, IAENG, ENFUSE. He is also an EXECOM member for the IEEE young professionals’ affinity group, Bangalore section.
Research papers in WOS - SCI/SCI-E/ESCI Indexed Journals
- Krishna S, T. Perumal, Sumukh Surya, Chandrasekhar B., " Interoperability in IoT Driven Smart Buildings - Using Rule based Decision Support Systems," under review in Information and Software Technology (IST), Elsevier (Q2, SCIE – 2.73) - Short communication.
- Mahapatra, S., Malik, N., Raj, S., Krishna, S.M. Constrained optimal power flow and optimal TCSC allocation using hybrid cuckoo search and ant lion optimizer. International Journal of System Assurance Engineering and Management (SPRINGER) (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s13198-021-01334-1 (ESCI).
- Surya Sumukh, Mohan K. Srinivasan, and Sheldon Williamson. 2021. "Technological Perspective of Cyber Secure Smart Inverters Used in Power Distribution System: State of the Art Review" Applied Sciences (MDPI) 11, no. 18: 8780. https://doi.org/10.3390/app11188780 (Q2 with IF: 2.679).
- Daya John Lionel, Febin, Dias, Jacintha, Krishna Srinivasan, Mohan, Parandhaman, Balamurugan and Prabhakaran, Prajof. "A novel non-isolated dual-input DC-DC boost converter for hybrid electric vehicle application: " International Journal of Emerging Electric Power Systems, vol. 22, no. 2, 2021, pp. 191-204. https://doi.org/10.1515/ijeeps-2020-0229, DE-GRUYTER (ESCI).
- Mohan Krishna. S, Febin Daya. J.L., “Adaptive Speed Observer with Disturbance Torque Compensation for Sensorless Induction Motor Drives using RT-Lab”, Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, TUBITAK, (2016), Vol. 24, Number. 5, pp. 3792 - 3806, doi: 10.3906/elk-1502-198 (SCI with Impact Factor0.518).
- Mohan Krishna. S, Febin Daya. J.L, Sanjeevikumar. P, Lucian MIHET-POPA, “Real-time performance and analysis of a modified state observer for sensorless induction motor drives using RT-Lab for electric vehicle applications”, Energies, MDPI (2017), 10, 1077, PP. 1-23, doi:10.3390/en10081077 (SCI-E with Impact Factor 2.262 and Five year Impact factor 2.707).
- Mohan Krishna. S, Febin Daya. J.L, Umashankar Subramaniam , Freede Blaabjerg, Rajvikram Madurai Elavarasan, Shaifulla G.M., Irfan Khan, Sanjeevikumar Padmanaban, “An Improved Sliding Mode Disturbance Observer for Sensorless Induction Motor Drive used in Electric Vehicles in a New Real-time PIL Test Bench”, Energies , MDPI (2020), 13, 16, PP. 1-22, doi:10.3390/en13164212 (SCI-E with Impact factor 2.702 and Five year Impact factor 2.822)
- Mohan Krishna. S, Febin Daya. J.L., “A modified disturbance rejection mechanism in sliding mode state observer for sensorless induction motor drive”, Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, SPRINGER (2016), 41(9), pp. 3571- 3586, DOI 10.1007/s13369-016-2201-8 (SCI with Impact Factor 0.728).
- John Lionel, Febin Daya, Jayan, Jestin, Srinivasan, Mohan Krishna and Prabhakaran, Prajof. "DC-link current based position estimation and speed sensorless control of a BLDC motor used for electric vehicle applications: " International Journal of Emerging Electric Power Systems, vol. 22, no. 3, 2021, pp. 269-284. https://doi.org/10.1515/ijeeps-2020-0235, DE-GRUYTER (ESCI).
- Krishna S and T. Perumal, "Making Buildings Smarter and Energy-Efficient—Using the Internet of Things Platform," in IEEE Consumer Electronics Magazine, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 34-41, 1 May 2021, doi: 10.1109/MCE.2021.3053182 (Q1 with Impact Factor 4.016).
- Surya, Sumukh, Mohan K. Srinivasan, and Sheldon Williamson. 2021. "Modeling of Average Current in Non-Ideal Buck and Synchronous Buck Converters for Low Power Application" Electronics (MDPI) 10, no. 21: 2672. https://doi.org/10.3390/electronics10212672 (SCI-E, Q2 with IF: 2.397).
- Sooraj Varikkottil, Febin Daya John Lionel *, Mohan Krishna Srinivasan *, Sheldon Williamson *, Ramani Kannan *, Lila Iznita Izhar *. “Role of Power Converters in Inductive Power Transfer System for Public Transport - A Comprehensive Review”, Symmetry (SCI-E, Q2, IF – 2.711) – Accepted for publication.
- Balamurugan1 , J.L. Febin Daya1 , Draxe Kausthab Prabhakar2 , Mohan Krishna S3, *, “High gain multiplier cuk converter for photovoltaic applications”, International Journal of Emerging Electric Power Systems (IJEEPS) – DeGruyter (ESCI) – Under review.
Research papers in (SCOPUS and other indexing) Journals
- Sumukh Surya, Mohan Krishna S, Chandrasekhar B, “Thermal Runway in Lithium-Ion Battery for Mobility Applications”, IEEE TEC Newsletter – ACCEPTED
- Mohan Krishna. S, Krishnamurthy. N, “Emerging Post Combustion Technologies for Coal fired Thermal Power Plants”, in Power Research, Journal of CPRI (Central Power Research Institute) 2018, Vol. 14(2), pp. 184-190.
- Mohan Krishna. S, Krishnamurthy. N, Febin Daya. J.L, “Techno-economic Aspects of Clean Energy Development from Coal”, IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 2020, Vol. 736, pp. 1-5.
- Jestin Jayan, Febin Daya. J.L., Mohan Krishna. S, “A Novel sensorless control scheme for BLDC motors used in Electric Vehicle”, World Journal of Modelling and Simulation 2018, Vol. 14(3), pp.209-216.
- Mohan Krishna. S, Febin Daya. J.L., ‘MRAS speed estimator with fuzzy and PIstator resistance adaptation forsensorless induction motor drives using RT-Lab’, Perspectives in Science ELSEVIER 2016, Vol. 8, pp.121-126.
- Mohan Krishna S, Febin Daya J L, “ Effect of Parametric variations and Voltage Unbalance on Adaptive Speed Estimation Schemes for Speed Sensorless Induction Motor Drives”, International Journal of Power Electronics and Drive Systems (IJPEDS) IAES Publishers 2015, Vol.6(1), pp. 77-85. (Scopus Indexed, SJR:0.134).
- Mohan Krishna. S, “Types Of Power Quality Disturbances in Ac Electric Traction Drives: A Survey”, The Journal of Central Power Research Institute (CPRI) 2013, Vol. 9(2), pp.191–196.
- Mohan Krishna. S, Febin Daya. J.L., “Machine model-based Speed Estimation Schemes for Speed Encoderless Induction Motor Drives: A Survey”, Bulletin of Electrical Engineering and Informatics 2015, Vol. 4(1), pp. 7-17.
Research papers in Conference Proceedings
- ‘Automatic Accident Informer in an Embedded Platform’, in AICTE sponsored International Conference on Smart Computing and Control of Systems, Tirupati, Andhrapradesh, July 9, 2019, with Dilip Gowda, J Sharathchandra and Denny Ebenezer
- ‘Bidirectional converter using Fuzzy for battery charging of electric vehicle’, in IEEE -International Transportation Electrification Conference, Bangalore, Karnataka, December 17-19, 2019, with S. Sreelakshmi and R. Deepa
- ‘Progress in the Technology of Coal Fired Power Plants for Sustainable Development’, published in the proceedings of the National Conference on Waste to Energy, Carbon Capture and Storage, NIT Rourkela, Odisha, August 3-5, 2017, with N. Krishnamurthy
- ‘Dynamic Performance Analysis of MRAS Based Speed Estimators for Speed Sensorless Induction Motor Drives’, published in the proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Advances in Electronics, Computers and Communication, IEEE Bangalore Chapter, October 11, 2014, with J.L. Febin Daya
- ‘Passive Filter Compensation for Mitigation of Harmonics in an AC Locomotive Drive’, Published in proceedings of the IETE Cynosure International Conference on Computer, Electrical and Electronics Engineering (ICCEEE-2013), Raigad, Maharashtra, India, December 2013, with Syed Ameen Mohammed, Shilpa.C, AmaraMeena and Shambhulinga.S.H
- ‘Recent Developments in Study of Carbon Footprint, its Measurement and Mitigation’, published in the proceedings of the International Conference on Energy, Environment And Eco-Friendly Buildings (ICEEEB), September 19-21, 2013, pp. 11-12, with N. Krishnamurthy
- ‘Harmonic Analysis OF VSI Fed Drive System’, published in the proceedings of the National Conference On Emerging Trends In Power Systems (NCPS 2012) organized by AIT, Bangalore on October 8, 2012, with Gopakumar Meloth and S. Kuldeep
- ‘Harmonic Analysis Of An AC Electric Traction Drive System’, published in the proceedings of the National Conference On Advanced Trends In Engg & Technology (NCATET 2012) organized by VJEC, Kannur on November 11, 2012
- Edited Book (In Press) – “Smart grid and Micro grids – Technology Evolution”. In Scrivener (Wiley) – editors: Prajof Prabhakaran, Umashankar Subramaniam, Mohan Krishna S, Febin Daya J.L, Brijesh P.V.
- Edited Book (Published) – “Electric Vehicles and the Future of Energy Efficient Transportation”, in IGI Global Publishers, Pages: 293, DOI: 10.4018/978-1-7998-7626-7, ISBN13: 9781799876267, ISBN10: 1799876268, EISBN13: 9781799876281 USA – editors: Sheldon Williamson, Umashankar Subramaniam, Mohan Krishna S, Febin Daya J.L.
- Edited Book (Ongoing) – “Internet of Energy for Sustainable Development”, In Apple Academic Press (Taylor & Francis) – editors: Sheila Mahapatra, Mohan Krishna S, Chandrasekhar B, Saurav Raj
Published as Book chapters
- Mohan Krishna, Sheila Mahapatra, Saurav Raj and Febin Daya J L “Estimation of simple, energy and carbon payback periods of a 1 MWp ground mounted solar PV plant at Tirupati airport: A Case study”, Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, SPRINGER 630, 2020, pp. 439-450.
- Mohan Krishna, Sheila Mahapatra, Saurav Raj, “Optimal TCSC Location for Reactive Power Optimization using Oppositional SALP Swarm Algorithm”, Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, SPRINGER 630, 2020, pp. 413-424.
- Mohan Krishna. S, Febin Daya. J.L., Kamal Basha. C,” Real-time Analysis of a Non-Linear State Observer with Improved Disturbance Compensation for Sensorless Induction Motor”, Intelligent Engineering Informatics, Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, SPRINGER 695, pp.657-668.
- Kamal Basha C, Mohan Krishna S, “An Effective Technique for controlling the speed of sensorless induction motorthrough modified EKF”, Smart Intelligent Computing and Applications, SPRINGER, 2019, pp. 609-618.
- Mohan Krishna. S, Sheila Mahapatra, Saurav Raj, Febin Daya J L, Umashankar Subramaniam, Prajof P. “Economic Feasibility Studies of Simple and Discounted Payback Periods for 1 MWp Ground Mounted Solar PV Plant at Tirupati Airport”, in Smart Grids and Microgrids – Technology evolution, SCRIVENER(WILEY) – (2020) – ACCEPTED
- Mohan Krishna. S, Febin Daya. J.L., “An Improved Stator Resistance Adaptation Mechanism in MRAS Estimator for Sensorless Induction Motor Drives”, Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, SPRINGER 458, pp.371-385.
- Sumukh Surya, Sheldon Williamson and Mohan Krishna Srinivasan, “Modelling, Simulation and Validation of Average Current and Constant Voltage Operations in Non – Ideal Buck and Boost Converters”, - IET Book Chapter (PENGDES)
- Best paper award for the session track - ‘Innovation in Electrical power engineering’ – LNEE SPRINGER - IEPCCT -2019. December 2019.
- Received (Elite + Silver medal) Certification for NPTEL Online Course – Effective Engineering Teaching in Practice – conducted by IIT Madras.
- Senior Member of IEEE and EXECOM Member (2022) of IEEE Young professionals affinity group, Bangalore section.
- Received Appreciation letter and Honorarium from the Central Power Research Institute (CPRI), for contributing a technical paper titled “Types of Power Quality Disturbances in Ac Electric Traction Drives: A Survey”, in the Journal of CPRI, June 2013 issue.
- Best paper award for the session track “Power electronics and energy conversion”, in the 4th Biennial International Conference on Nascent Technologies in Engineering (ICNTE 2021) (Technically Co-Sponsored by IEEE & INDUSTRY APPLICATIONS SOCIETY), Mumbai.
- Merit of winning 1st prize in the Innovative Idea Competition conducted for faculty and research scholars, by Jain University in 2013, for the idea titled “A novel scheme for effective utilization of output of solar pumping system”.
- Awarded full-time institute research assistantship for a period of 3 years from the date of registration of PhD program at School of Electrical Engineering, VIT University.
- Received honorarium for handling sessions on “Basic Electrical Engineering Concepts” for the Design Trainees of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), Bangalore complex, at Hindustan Management Academy, (05-03-13 and 08- 03-13)
- Chaired a session on Green Technology in the Energy Security and Chemical Engineering Congress organized by the Centre of Excellence for Advanced Research in Fluid Flow (CARiFF), Universiti Malaysia Pahang held at Penang, Malaysia in July 2019.
- Certified Peer Reviewer and Mentor from Publons academy and Elsevier Research Academy.
- IEEE Mentor for the flagship mentor4u program organized by the IEEE Young professional’s affinity group, IEEE Bangalore section
- Subject expert for the formulation of trilingual glossary on engineering, organized by the Commission for Scientific and Technology Translation (CSTT), Ministry of Education, Govt. of India.
- Organizing committee member of the Two day workshop on “Outcome Based Learning”, jointly conducted by Alliance University and IET India on January 2019.
- Organizing committee member of the One day workshop and Panel discussion on “Green Energy and Sustainable Development”, jointly conducted by Alliance University and IET India on June 2019.
- Organizing committee member of the Two day workshop on “Electric vehicle technology – Opportunities and Challenges”, jointly conducted by Alliance University and IET India on January 2020.