It has been observed meaningfully over a period that every culture, every society, every nation has some or the other ways of solving the disputes faced by their citizens. Many a time and opt, the longer and more prosperous the lineage, the more advanced and diverse the mechanisms. Truth be told, India is a nation of many cultures and hence several dispute resolution mechanisms had evolved and been customized over a period of time. We had the dispute settlement mechanisms tailor-made for different segments of society and are still in existence in numerous regions like the panchayats, which exercise social influence within geographical boundaries. With the advent of British colonization, these varied dispute resolution mechanisms by and large paved way to formal courts of law based on anglo-saxon jurisprudence. In the wake of plenty of cases pending before the courts and the long-time duration taken while adjudicating upon the matters, the businesses and economy of India has been adversely impacted. In order to fill in this void so created, Alternate dispute mechanisms have become the need of the hour which includes Arbitration, Mediation, Conciliation and Lok Adalat. Therefore, such mechanisms have turned out to be a blessing in disguise for resolving the civil disputes outside the courts. Keeping in view all such emerging needs of the society thereby assisting them find timely and cost-effective solutions, the ACADR at the central campus of Alliance University has been established.
The ACADR seeks to contribute to the vision of the Alliance School of Law, Alliance University of developing human beings who are technically sound, socially relevant, and emotionally strong thereby imbibing in themselves the requisite skills of alternative dispute resolution methods like active listening, understanding other’s point of view, discussions, empathy, rational thinking, solution-oriented approach, analytical understanding, and community interest.
The ACADR has a mission to promote the full utilization of ADR methods amongst the legal and non-legal professionals, students, and general public at large. the center envisages a society which values harmony, brotherhood, peaceful co-existence, and multiplicity. The skills involved therein ADR methods are not only for harmoniously resolving the disputes and differences, but these are lifelong skills which are needed by all of us. The center aspires to bring in place an indelible change in the viewpoints of the society with regard to the disputes/disagreements not as scars but as an opportunity.
- To provide counselling services to people, lawyers, organizations, NGOs, government dispute resolution mechanisms.
- To raise the level of awareness on issues with regard to alternative techniques of dispute resolution mechanisms thereby practicing conflict management.
- To organize seminars/conferences, workshops, debates/discussions on contemporary issues with regard to ADR mechanisms.
- Publication of journal, magazine, newsletter etc. on alternative dispute resolution methods and best practices.
- Designing industry driven courses and conducting classes on courses like diploma, certificate on ADR methods like arbitration, mediation, dispute management, etc.
- To stimulate academic research maneuvers on contemporary issues relating to dispute resolution, dispute management, mediation, conciliation.
- To liaise with ADR professionals, lawyers, institutions, NGOs, government on matters relating to dispute resolution.
Initiatives taken by ACADR, Alliance School of Law, Alliance University:
- One Day virtual webinar on the topic "Resolving Commercial Disputes through Lok Adalats" was organized by ACADR, Alliance Law School, Alliance University, Bangalore on 23rd of April 2022. The event was honored and addressed by Shri. Sunil Chauhan( Haryana Judicial Service officer), Additional Registrar, Supreme Court of India.
- Organized One day Arbitration Webinar on 30th of March 2022 pertaining to the topic "Career Progression in Commercial Arbitration: Opportunities, Challenges & Roles". Noted Arbitrator and Lawyer Shri. Prashant Kumar, Principal Associate, Dua Associates, New Delhi delivered magnificent and thought provoking talk on the said occasion.
- Organized One day Online Mediation Webinar on the topic "Mediation Tools and Techniques - A force to reckon with" on 26th of February 2022. The event was honoured by Shri. K.L. Srinivasa, a noted Mediator, and Lawyer (Bengaluru, Karnataka).
- Organized Two days Mediation Training Program on 25th-26th of November 2021. A well-established and acclaimed master trainer Shri. Firdosh Kassam (Karachiwala) trained law students thereby conducting fruitful practical sessions about mediation tools and techniques.
- Organized Three days ADR Boot Camp from 28th to 30th of March 2019 at Central Campus, Alliance School of Law, Alliance University, Bengaluru.
- Organized a Special Lecture on "ADR Methods in 21st Century with special reference to India", delivered by distinguished Prof. (Dr.) Ashok R. Patil, Professor of Law & Chair Professor (Consumer Law and Protection) Faculty Co-coordinator, Centre for Child and the Law Faculty Advisor for Legal Services Clinic, National Law School of India University, Bengaluru (NLSIU) on 30th of October 2018 at Alliance School of Law, Alliance University, Bengaluru
Call for Articles
The Alliance Centre for Alternative Dispute Resolution (ACADR) hereby invites articles for its E-Newsletter bearing Volume 1, Issue 3.
About the ACADR:
The Alliance Centre for Alternative Dispute Resolution aspires to change the viewpoints of society. The Centre aims at exploring multiple facets of the Alternative Dispute Resolution systems thereby providing quality knowledge as well as disseminating information on the contemporary issues in the field of ADR mechanisms. To cultivate and promote the ADR culture and manoeuvres, the ACADR will host various competitions, seminars, webinars, and workshops.
About the Newsletter:
The ACADR newsletter aims at promoting ADR mechanisms and creating a comprehensive awareness about its various facets. The first issue of the ACADR Newsletter focuses on the recent developments in the Alternate Dispute Resolution regime. It focuses on ADR’s role across various sectors around the globe and highlights several challenges and issues concerned.
Main Theme: "Judicial approaches towards recognition and enforcement of arbitral awards"
- Landmark judgments and development of ADR in India.
- Notable decisions by foreign courts on Commercial Arbitration.
- Best international practices pertaining to the enforcement of arbitral awards against State (Govt).
The above mentioned sub-themes are not exhaustive in nature. The authors are free to write on any topic directly connected to the central theme of the Newsletter.
Submit by: June 15, 2022.
The ACADR emphasizes on unique perspectives and approaches. Selected blog articles will be published in the ACADR Newsletter - JUNE 2022.
- Authors to submit final versions of their blog/article in MS Word format.
- Word Limit: Minimum 700 & maximum 800 words including References.
- Do not include table of contents.
- Font style: Times New Roman.
- Title font size: 14.
- Body font size: 12.
- Line spacing: 1.5.
- References/citations to be made using Bluebook 20th edition.
- Usage of end notes, not foot notes.
- End notes to be in Times New Roman, font size 10, and justified alignment.
- Total no. of co-authors permitted: 2.
- Plagiarism must be less than 10%.
- By submitting material for publication, you guarantee that you are the original copyright holder of the work in question, and you own the legal rights to use the information. In case of any breach of copyright, the author shall bear the liability.
- Alliance School of Law would not be charging any publication fee.
- Authors will be informed about acceptance of their articles within 12 to 15 days from the submission date.
Last date of Submission: June 15, 2022.Submit Here
Structure and Composition
| Prof. (Dr.) Anubha Singh |
Vice Chancellor, Alliance University
| Prof. (Dr.) Kiran D. Gardner |
Dean, Alliance School of Law, Alliance University
| Dr. Rahul Mishra |
Alliance School of Law, Alliance University
For any Queries, please contact us at: