Dr. Avanish Bhai Patel
Alliance School of Liberal Arts
Dr. Avanish Bhai Patel has completed Ph.D. in Sociology from Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee. He has obtained post-graduation in two subjects; first in Criminology from University of Lucknow and second in Sociology from CSJM University Kanpur. He has qualified UGC-NET exam and received the MHRD (Government of India) Fellowship. He also has research experience with renowned institutions. He has worked as a Research Officer on the project ‘National Research Study on Human Trafficking in India’ at Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai and has worked as a Research Consultant on the project Scheme for Promoting Quality Education in Madrasa of four States at National Institute of Educational Planning and Administration, New Delhi.
The major fields of research interest include sociology of ageing, fear of crime, elder abuse, and qualitative research.
- Social Stigma in time of COVID-19 Pandemic: Evidence from India. International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy, May 2021. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJSSP-01-2021-0012
- Patel, A. B.; Sahoo, B. P. 2021. “Social stigma in time of COVID-19 pandemic: evidence from India.” International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy: https://search.bvsalud.org/global-literature-on-novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov/resource/en/covidwho-1244892 (Recognized under literature for Covid-19 by WHO.)
- Patel, A. B.; Kumar, S., 2020.“A sociological study of suicide during COVID-19 in India” Mental Health and Social Inclusion: https://search.bvsalud.org/global-literature-on-novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov/resource/en/covidwho-991046 (Recognized under literature for Covid-19 by WHO.)
- Patel, A.B. and A. J. Mishra. 2016. “Fear of Crime amongst Elders in India.” Journal of Working with Older People 20 (1): 36-45. (Indexed in Scopus and Notified by UGC).
- Mishra, A. J. and A. B. Patel. 2013. “Crimes against the Elderly in India: A Content Analysis on Factors causing Fear of Crime.” International Journal of Criminal Justice Science 8 (1): 13-23. (Indexed in Scopus and Notified by UGC).
- Patel, A. B. and A. J. Mishra. 2015. “A Study of the Factors Triggering Fear of Crime among the Elderly in Northern India.” Indian Journal of Gerontology 29 (4): 456-470. (Indexed in Indian Citation Index and Notified by UGC).
- Patel, A. B. and V. Kumar. 2015. “Challenges among the Elderly in Later Life.” Journal of the Indian Academy of Geriatrics 11 (4): 171-173. (Notified by UGC)
- Patel, A. B. and A. J. Mishra. 2013. “Crime against the Elderly: A Contemporary Social Problem.” Helpage India Research and Development Journal 19 (2): 27-33.
- Patel, A. B. 2015. “Crime against the Women in India.” Forensic Research and Criminology International Journal 1(4): 1-5.
- Patel, A. B. 2013. “Crises in Female Existence: Female Foeticide and Infanticide in India.” International Journal of Criminology and Sociological Theory 6(4): 235-241.
- Patel, A. B. 2013. “Vridh Logo Me Apne Prati Apradh Ka Bhay: Ek Samkalin Samajik Samsya.” Police Vigyan Patrika 31(123): 40-46.
- Patel, A. B. 2012. “Sankat Me Kanyao Ka Astitva: Balika Bhrun Hatya Evam Shishu Hatya.” Police Vigyan Patrika 30(118): 29-32.
- Patel, A. B. and A. J. Mishra. 2015. “Human Trafficking: A Human Rights Abuse.” In Contemporary Crime in Indian Society (229-247), edited by Ramesh H. Makwana, New Delhi: Gyan Prakashan.
- Patel, A. B. 2013. “Social Factors of Fear of Crime among the Elderly: A Pilot Study of Roorkee Town.” 5th Annual Conference of the Asian Criminological Society, Tata Institute of Social Sciences, 14th -16th April, 2013, Mumbai, India.
- Patel, A. B. 2013. “Rising Fear of Crime among the Elderly in Indian Society.”, 2nd International Conference on Healthy Ageing in Changing World, Indian Institute of Sciences, Bangalore, 30th September- 1st October, 2013, Bangalore, India.
- Patel, A. B. 2014. “The Weakening of Social Bond as a Factor of Elder Abuse and Fear of Crime.” 17th Conference of Association of Gerontology, India & International Conference on Engaging and Empowering the Elderly, Center for Development Studies, 15th-16th September, 2014, Trivandrum, India.
- Patel, A. B. 2015. “Factors Affecting Fear of Crime among the Elderly in India.” 3rd International Congress on Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, 27th-29th November, 2015, New Delhi, India.
- Patel, A. B. and A. J. Mishra. 2011. “Human Trafficking: A human Rights Abuse.” 37th All India Sociological Conference, 11th -13th December, 2011at New Delhi, India.
- Patel, A. B. and A. J. Mishra. 2012. “Fear of Crime among the Elderly: The Issues, Perspectives and State Response.” 35th All India Criminology Conference, Tata Institute of Social Sciences, 23rd -25th March, 2012 in Mumbai, India.
- Patel, A. B. and A. J. Mishra. 2013. “Fear of Crime among the Elderly: A Content Analysis Approach.” 36th All India Criminological Conference, National Law University Delhi, 15th-17th February, 2013 in New Delhi, India.
- Patel, A. B. 2014. “Social Impact of Fear of Crime on Elderly: An Ethnographic Content Analysis of Central Uttar Pradesh.” National Seminar on Demographic Transition and Development: Issues and Challenges in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar, organized by International Institute of Population Science, 11th -13th March, 2014 at S.G.P.G.I.M.S., Lucknow, India.
- Patel, A. B. 2017. “Abuse with Elderly Women in India.” National Seminar on Violence against Women: Problems, Prospects and Prescriptions, organized by P.G. Dept. of Sociology, Sardar Patel University, Anand, India.
- Attended the Workshop on “Data Analysis in Social Sciences” organised by Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai, 27th May to 5th June, 2013 in Mumbai, India.
- Attended the Workshop on “Research Methods on Gender Issues in Labour” organised by V.V. Giri National Labour Institute, Noida, 25th February to 1st March, 2013.
Affiliation to Professional Organizations / Bodies
- Life member of South Asian Society of Criminology and Victimology.
- Indian Sociological Society (Member RC-18-Sociology of Crime and Deviance).
- Life member of Indian Society of Criminology.
- Life Member of Association of Gerontology, India.
- Academic Member of the Athens Institute for Education and Research (Sociology Research Unit and the Law Research Unit).